You’re probably already familiar with Aloe Vera as a remedy for sunburn. This water-rich plant can be found in most after-sun care products - and with good reason! Its cooling, hydrating and anti-inflammatory properties make it excellent at calming red, over-heated skin.
But this all-natural ingredient has much more to offer a man’s skin than just soothing sunburned skin.
Here are six more benefits your skin can gain from using Aloe Vera gel:
- It helps clear up breakouts – Aloe Vera is an excellent and gentle skin cleanser and a great natural remedy for breakouts. The anti-microbial gel works on several levels. Firstly, it contains antiseptic compounds that protect the skin from the bacteria which can cause infection and inflammation. Secondly, it contains glycoproteins which reduce any inflammation and redness, and polysaccharides that stimulate the growth of new skin cells. Research from the Mayo Clinic suggests that if you are already using a topical prescription acne treatment, applying Aloe gel will make the treatment more effective in reducing acne.
- Aloe Vera moisturizes - long known for its rich moisturizing properties, Aloe Vera enhances the appearance of dry or damaged skin by reducing flaking and restoring suppleness. It softens the skin but without making it greasy, or clogging your pores, so it’s perfect if you have oily skin.
- It fights aging - As well as hydrating your skin, Aloe Vera improves elasticity, through collagen and elastin repair, making skin smoother. It contains several anti-oxidants, including Vitamins A, C and E and Beta Carotene, that help improve skin’s firmness and texture. These anti-oxidants also neutralize the aging effects of harmful free radicals, protecting against the appearance of fine lines.
- It soothes irritated skin – Due to its phytosterol content, Aloe Vera will calm and soothe irritated skin, reducing any redness that might have been caused by shaving. In Ayurvedic medicine It is even used to effectively relieve the symptoms of psoriasis and eczema.
- Aloe Vera has healing properties – Aloe is excellent at regenerating and healing the skin, particularly any small nicks from shaving. It speeds up cell reproduction, allowing skin to heal quickly and with minimal scarring.
- It’s anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial – the same properties which help to clear up acne also protect the skin from infection and prevent any irritation when you shave.
HOW TO USE IT
Straight from plant – Aloe Vera gel is the jelly-like substance that is found in the inner part of the leaf. Once a leaf has been cut from the plant you can keep it in the refrigerator for future use. However, always do a patch test before you apply Aloe Vera straight from the plant to inflamed skin. In rare cases, it can cause a reaction in highly sensitive people.
Aloe Vera gel – You can also buy the gel ready extracted. Try to find one that is pure, and extracted straight from the leaf. Amara Organics make an excellent version. (link)
In skincare - Perhaps the easiest way to benefit from Aloe Vera every day is to opt for skincare which includes this excellent ingredient.