From Brad Pitt to Idris Elba a strong, chiseled jawline signifies a certain manliness.
If your jawline is looking strong and perfectly defined you know that it’s going to make you look and feel more confident.
And whilst genes play a big part in the shape of your face, and in particular the jaw area, there’s still a lot you can do to enhance what nature gave you!
So whilst not everybody is blessed with the same bone structure as Brad, there’s a lot you can do to boost your jawline so that it looks stronger and more chiselled.
Getting that perfectly defined face shape
Below we’ve got 6 easy tips to get you a ridiculously chiselled jawline.
Starting with some advice on visually making your face look longer, and less round, so that your jawline looks more defined and more muscular.
We’ve also got some exercises you can do to strengthen the muscles in your neck and under your chin which will shape and tone your jawline.
And some small changes you can make to your diet, which along with adding cardio, will help you to lose any face fat. It’s this fat which makes your face look rounder and therefore less chiseled.
So, work with what you’ve got… and a strong, chiselled face shape is within reach.
How to get a masculine, chiselled jawline
The first two tips are really simple to do and they both visually enhance your jawline. The trick is to elongate the appearance of your face so that your chin looks more defined.
#1: Add definition with facial hair
You can get a lot of definition by adding some light shade on your jawline. This will make it appear darker and more defined. Even just a light stubble will help to accentuate your jawline. Use your clippers and play around to find the best length for your face shape. Check out our article "How To Trim Your Beard Like A Pro" and you're beard will always looks well styled.
Shape with a goatee
Adopting a goatee style is the easiest way to make a difference to the shape and contours of your face. It will immediately elongate your face and define your chin. Play around with the proportions to get the best effect. And pay special attention to keeping both sides even!
Our Protective Shave Cream is great for this because it’s translucent! So you can see exactly where you’ve shaved and where you need to take off a little more.
It also nourishes and protects your skin so that there’s no redness or irritation on the shaved areas. Making sure that you have the perfect finish.
Adopt a full beard style
If you decide to grow out to a full beard just remember not to round out. Always think about keeping the sides tight, at the same time as elongating your chin.
Colour your beard
Colouring your beard so that it’s a uniform darkness will also add definition. This can be a tricky process so it’s best to get expert advice the first time you do it! We’ve got more information on this in an upcoming article.
#2: Choose a hairstyle that enhances your jawline
You want a style that elongates your face. So, as with a beard, keep the sides tight, and add volume to the top to elongate your face shape. Avoid making the sides fuller as this will add to any roundness of your face.
Even if you have only a little hair always think about keeping the sides very tight to make the most of what you’ve got.
And then there’s changes you can make to your diet...
#3: Reduce sodium intake
You can get rid of any puffiness in your face which is hiding your jawline by reducing your salt intake. So that means cutting back on salty snacks, crisps and junk food - and staying away from adding extra salt to your food.
Also try drinking more water. This will make your face less bloated and allow your jawline to appear.
#4: Lose body fat
When you lose body fat your face will automatically look more chiselled and your jawline will look more defined.
Everything tightens up, and you will have a great looking chiselled jawline.
Sorry but this is one of the best ways to look better in every way, and we admit that it’s not the easiest thing to do!
Try switching to a plant-based diet for a month. People have reported excellent results not just in terms of weight loss but also in how strong and energetic they feel on this type of diet.
We’ve got a list of the “27 Best Anti Aging Super Foods for Men” here to give you some ideas of healthy options to add to your diet.
At the gym, a combination of strength exercises and cardio really are the most effective things you can do.
Working out and losing body fat are not just great for your jawline, of course.
They also lead to better posture, your clothes will fit better, you’ll feel healthier and stronger.
So really the message is lose fat and gain muscle – and it’s more than just your jawline that will benefit!
#5: Chew gum
Chewing gum is one of the easiest ways of improving your jawline definition.
The chewing action works the muscles in your neck and jaw, which really tightens up the whole jawline and chin area. And if you’re constantly chewing, you’re working those muscles all day long.
#6: Jawline exercises
Each morning, as you stand in front of the mirror, you can easily add these to your grooming routine.
We should warn you that you’ll probably feel pretty silly doing these, so you might want to shut the bathroom door before you start!
With these exercises you should feel the muscles in the front and side of your neck and under your chin being worked because that’s the area that we need to sharpen up and strengthen in order to define the jaw.
Working these muscles should also help to tone up sagging cheeks and droopy jowls if you have them.
Jawline defining exercise 1: Chin Lift
- Standing in front of the mirror, and keeping your mouth closed, try to push your lower jaw out at the same time as lifting your lower lip.
- You should feel a stretch build up in your jawline and just under your chin.
- Hold the position for 10–15 seconds, then relax.
Number of Reps: Try to do 15 of these each morning.
Jawline defining exercise 2: Tongue Twister
- Press your tongue onto the roof of your mouth, directly behind your teeth.
- Increase the pressure to add tension.
- Now start to make a humming sound… we know, we know! But honestly this will help to activate your jawline muscles. Hold for one breath.
Number of Reps: Do 15 of these each morning.
Jawline defining exercise 3: Collarbone Back Up
- In a standing position, and keeping your head level with the floor, try to slide your head back several inches. You should feel the muscles on either side of your neck contract as you go back and then relax as you release forward.
- Make sure that your head stays level the whole time.
- Hold the position for 10 seconds, then relax. Build up to a hold of 30 seconds as you progress.
Number of Reps: Do 10 repetitions each morning
And this last exercise you need to lie down for
Jawline defining exercise 4: Neck Curl
Think of this exercise as like an abdominal curl for your neck.
- Start by lying on your back with your tongue pressed to the roof of your mouth just behind your teeth. This will activate your front neck muscles.
- Bring your chin to your chest and then lift your head off of the ground about 2 inches (5cm).
- It’s only a small movement. So take your time, these muscles are often underdeveloped and you can cause neck strain if you lift too high too soon.
Number of Reps: Start by doing 10 repetitions each morning and gradually build up to 3 sets of 10 reps.
Other benefits of jawline exercises
Not only will these exercises strengthen and define you jaw, but they also:
- Reduce tension in your face and neck caused by stress, or staring at a screen all day – which will lessen any headaches
- Increase blood circulation – allowing more oxygen and essential nutrients to reach your skin cells
- Relax your face – and you’re always going to look better if you look more relaxed!
Yes genetics plays a big part in the shape of your jawline, but there are a lot of things that you can do to drastically improve what nature gave you.
- Add definition with facial hair
- Choose a hair style that enhances your jawline
IMPROVE YOUR DIET
- Reduce salt intake to avoid puffiness
- Lose body fat to make your jawline look more chiselled
- Chew gum
- Do these jawline and chin exercises daily
- Chin Lift
- Tongue Twister
- Collarbone Back Up
- Neck Curl
Work on these and your jawline will look strong, sharp and chiselled - and you’re going to look and feel more confident!
Stick with it and let us know how you get on.
And if there’s anything that we’ve missed, or you have a question, just leave a comment below.